Thursday 18 July 2019

Made it

After a long, delayed, overnight flight; this morning I was treated to some of Israel’s famous hospitality. Some questioning and two baggage checks later I was on my way to Jerusalem by shared taxi to then get on a bus to Ramallah. For some reason the bus couldn’t go past The Qalandiya checkpoint and so I dragged my suitcase through the prison style gates and the dust into Palestine to get on another bus that would take me into town.
On Saturday I start helping out at the ‘New Horizons’ Summer camp in Abu Dis but until then I’m visiting with friends. I’m very much looking forward to meeting the other volunteers and the kids I will be working with over the next few weeks.
I have been waiting for this day for the last 7 months and could not be happier that we are finally there!
I’ve been here before so I have a little bit of an idea about life for the Palestinian people under Israel’s occupation. However I have been told that life in Abu Dis is far different to life in Ramallah. In a way I am looking forward to seeing for myself what goes on there every day so that I can report back to all of you. So that we can stand united in the fight against the horrible injustices that happen here EVERY SINGLE DAY!
For now I am adapting to the heat and catching up with my friends.
More to follow soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment